Strengthening of the Global Management Structure as of May 1, 2022
Change of the role/responsibilities of Executive Officers
Bridgestone Group has been working on its Corporate Transformation (CX) for the past two years since the start of Third Foundation/Bridgestone 3.0 in 2020 focusing on “execution” and “delivering results” with an “aggressive approach” and “challenge” spirit which has brought us closer to becoming a "strong" Bridgestone. In anticipation of a series of turbulent events such as the situation in Russia and Ukraine, it is imperative to further strengthen our global management structure, which is more flexible and agile than before and oriented toward global optimization, in order to achieve the goals of Mid Term Business Plan, which concludes in 2023.
Bridgestone Corporation today announced that its Board of Directors decided on April 18th to strengthen its global management structure by appointing two Joint Global COOs under the Global CEO, effective May 1.
Comments from Shu Ishibashi, Global CEO and Representative Executive Officer of Bridgestone Corporation:
Two Global Joint COOs will be appointed as global business managements focusing on “execution” and “delivering results” with an “aggressive approach” and “challenge” spirit.
One is Masahiro Higashi, who is currently responsible for the global mining and aircraft tire business, the Japanese tire business, and the Japanese diversified products business. He will continue to lead Bridgestone's global sustainability strategy and, effective May 1, expand his responsibilities to include the BSCAP business, which is expected to generate synergies in the Bridgestone home market - Japan and Asia, where Bridgestone has a long history of success.
The other is Paolo Ferrari, head of Global Solution Strategy and head of BSAM Business. He will continue to lead the global solutions business strategy and, as of May 1, expand his responsibilities to include the BSEMIA business, where we expect synergies from the mature premium tire and solutions businesses in the Americas and Europe.
Both of them have contributed to the CX and business performance over the past two years, and I am confident that they will support the Global CEO as No. 2 in this new and turbulent business stage and contribute to the enhancement of our corporate value.
The current SBU concept as a glocal management structure will remain, with the Head of BSCAP reporting to Masahiro Higashi and the Head of BSEMIA reporting to Paolo Ferrari.
Through this strengthened executive structure, the Bridgestone Group is committed to the 8 Bridgestone-like values starting with the letter “E” (Energy, Ecology, Efficiency, Extension, Economy, Emotion, Ease, and Empowerment) in the "Bridgestone E8 Commitment "*1. The Group will commit to creating the value to realize a sustainable society.
< Executive structure as of May 1, 2022>
1. Changing Positions and Responsibilities of Executive Officers
(Effective May 1, 2022)
Member of the Board
Representative Executive Officer Joint Global COO
(In charge of Global OR/AC Business, Japan Business and BSCAP)
Chair of Global Sustainability Committee
Member of the Board Representative Executive Officer
Concurrently responsible for BSJP Tire Solutions Business and BSJP Tire Business CEO and COO Chairman and Representative Board Member of Bridgestone Tire Solution Japan Co.，Ltd.
Executive Vice President and Executive Officer
*CSO : Chief Business Solutions Officer
2. Biography of the new Joint Global COOs
Representative Executive Officer
Born: February 11, 1961
Education: The University of Tokyo B.A. (Law)
- 1985 Joined Bridgestone Corporation
- 1999 Seconded to Bridgestone/Firestone, Inc.
- 2008 Seconded to Thai Bridgestone Co., Ltd.
- 2011 Director, Executive Administration Office
- 2013 Vice President and Officer, Advanced Business Planning
- 2014 Vice President and Officer, Consumer Products Global Marketing Strategy and Motorsport
- 2016 Vice President and Officer, CSR, Environment and Quality Management Planning
- 2017 Vice President and Senior Officer, Diversified Products Business
- 2019 Jan. Senior Vice President and Executive Officer
Responsible for MAA (Mining, Aircraft, Agriculture) & Diversified Products Solutions Business
- 2019 Sep. Senior Vice President and Executive Officer
Responsible for G-MAA (Mining, Aircraft, Agriculture) Solutions and GBE (Global Business Enhancement)
- 2020 Vice Chair and Representative Executive Officer Jan.
- 2020 Global COO and Representative Executive Officer Jul.
- 2021 Mar. Member of the Board
- Global COO and Representative Executive Officer
Born: April 10, 1970
Education: Bocconi University B.A. (Business and Economics),
New York University Stern School of Business MBA (Finance)
- 2016 Joined Bridgestone Europe NV/SA
Member of the Board, CEO and President of Bridgestone Europe NV/SA
- 2017 Vice President and Senior Officer of Bridgestone Corporation Member of the Board, CEO and President,concurrently Chief Operating Officer of Bridgestone Europe NV/SA
- 2018 Senior Vice President and Executive Officer of Bridgestone Corporation Member of the Board, CEO and President,concurrently Chief Operating Officer of Bridgestone Europe NV/SA Chairman of Bridgestone Americas, Inc.
- 2019 Executive Vice President and Executive Officer of Bridgestone Corporation Member of the Board, CEO and President of Bridgestone Europe NV/SA Chairman of Bridgestone Americas, Inc.
- 2020 Executive Vice President and Executive Officer, G-Chief Digital Strategic Officer (G-CDSO) of Bridgestone Corporation Responsible for G Digital Strategy
Member of the Board, CEO and President, COO of Bridgestone Americas, Inc.
2021 Executive Vice President and Executive Officer of Bridgestone Corporation Global CSO(Global Chief Business Solutions Officer) BSAM Member of the Board, CEO and President
*1 The Bridgestone Group newly established its corporate commitment, the “Bridgestone E8 Commitment” to realize its vision: “Toward 2050, Bridgestone continues to provide social value and customer value as a sustainable solutions company.” This commitment will serve as the Group’s axis to drive management while earning the trust of future generations. The “Bridgestone E8 Commitment” consists of 8 Bridgestone-like values starting with the letter “E” (Energy, Ecology, Efficiency, Extension, Economy, Emotion, Ease, and Empowerment) that the Group will commit to creating through Bridgestone-like “purpose“ and “process“, together with employees, society, its partners and customers to realize a sustainable society.
News Release: Bridgestone Announces "Bridgestone E8 Commitment" toward 2030
Bridgestone E8 Commitment Web page
About Bridgestone Corporation:
Bridgestone is a global leader in tires and rubber building on its expertise to provide solutions for safe and sustainable mobility. Headquartered in Tokyo, the company employs approximately 140,000 people globally and conducts business in more than 150 countries and territories worldwide. Bridgestone offers a diverse product portfolio of premium tires and advanced solutions backed by innovative technologies, improving the way people around the world move, live, work and play.